NYT > Home Page

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Tuesday's Post

Well, I am glad we did a C-SPAN classroom today. This was an opportunity for me to use the Socratic Method with you guys. I feel this is a better way to learn. Initially, I felt some "push back" from a few students who didn't understand why I didn't want them to copy the questions. I think students have to be more open-minded when I come up with something new. Usually, I have "field tested" my teaching strategies (with five years under my belt) in other classes. At the college level, the instruction is "non-negotiable."

The lecture was better today. We covered limited government, judicial review as well as introduced formal and informal ways to amend the Constitution. I smell a practice FRQ on the ways in which the Constitution can be amended (formal vs. informal).

Tomorrow, we will cover Federalist 10. It is a little longer than Federalist 51. I heard at the weekend conference that James Madison really wrote the Constitution (rather than Jefferson). I'll have to look into that. Make no doubt, Madison had a huge impact on the writing as well as the ratification of the Constitution. You will be paired in groups of two to get the reading done. This will take all class period (hopefully with a shorter transition time than last week). See you tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I actually liked how you didn't let us copy the questions. It really made us pay attention. I think if we continue that method, it'll help us retain information faster and better.

    ReplyDelete