NYT > Home Page

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Blow Up

Well, you can probably expect a few more blowups before the year is over. Don't take them personally. There's not one "bad" person in the class. You are all great people. Sometimes the behavior (such as I described) can be annoying. It's nothing fatal, however. We do seem to get quite a bit accomplished during our class sessions. This being my first attempt at teaching the course, I am paranoid that we will run out of time and not be able to cover a unit or something like that....

Great job for those who participated on Federalist 51. James Madison made some interesting points: (1) He was paranoid about tyranny (2) he believed that "if men were angels, no government would be necessary"-I love that quote! (3) he argued that the republican system proposed by the Founding Fathers contained sufficient "Checks and Balances"--most important. These checks and balances included (a) each branch checking each other, (b) national and state playing off each other (c) multiple factions in such a large country as the USA would prevent the 'tyranny' of one all powerful group from taking over.

Work hard on the "Constitution Scavenger Hunt." Remind students who missed today's lesson to pick it up at the big table in front before their weekend. It will be due on Friday, October 1st.
Cheers!!!

1 comment:

  1. Aww I missed your blow up?! Well actually I'm kind of glad I did...I mean I'd be getting the full force of it...sitting in the front and all...*shudder*
    Anyways, it's too bad I missed out on today's lecture. It would've been nice to go more in depth on Federalist 51. C'est le vie I suppose.

    ReplyDelete