NYT > Home Page

Monday, October 24, 2011

READING GUIDE FOR FEDERALIST #10

1. According to Madison, what conditions have historically plagued “popular governments?”

Instability, injustice, confusion.

2. Had the US effectively dealt with these conditions? Explain.

No. There have been “improvements” in the US, but there are “complaints” from “virtuous citizens” that the government is unstable, that the public good is disregarded, and that measures are decided by an “overbearing majority.”

3. Describe the two methods of removing the causes of factions.

1) Destroying liberty.
2) Giving every citizen the same opinions, passions and interests.

4. Describe Madison’s position on these two methods.

1) Destroying liberty is a remedy that is worse than the disease.
2) Giving every citizen the same opinions, passions and interests is impractical because of the natural diversity of people.

5. What is the most common cause of faction?

The unequal distribution of property, or wealth: property owners v. non-property owners, creditors v. debtors, landed wealth v. manufacturing wealth.

6. Is the “republican principle” more effective in controlling the effects of a minority faction or a majority faction? Explain.

It is more effective in controlling the effects of a minority faction because a simple majority vote will thwart the will of a minority. A majority faction, however, may sacrifice both the public good and the rights of citizens through its sheer voting power.

7. Is a republic or a pure democracy more suitable for controlling the effects of factions? List the differences that Madison cites between these two forms of government.

A republic is more suitable than a pure democracy.
1) A republic delegates the chores of government to a small number of elected citizens.
2) A republic includes a greater number of citizens and a larger geographical area.

8. What are the benefits when there is a “delegation of the government to a small number of citizens?”

Such a body may include citizens of wisdom, patriotism, and love of justice who better understand the true interest of their nation. The danger, however, is that men of “sinister designs” may be elected but then betray the public good.

9. Why is a large republic more likely to control the effects of a faction than a small republic?

The larger the number of citizens, the less likely it is that unworthy candidates can get away with the practice of their “vicious arts.”
A large territory would be more likely to have a large number of interests. With such a large number of interests, it is less likely that one interest could monopolize power.

13 comments:

  1. Thankyou Mr. Lanaghan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You helped me alot

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. bruh what are you doing on this page at 7:34 a.m.???? da fuq
      -alex

      Delete
  4. Sean morrow pay attention in physics next time

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Treasure"

    Baby squirrel, you’s a sexy motherfucker

    Give me your, give me your, give me your attention, baby
    I gotta tell you a little something about yourself
    You're wonderful, flawless, ooh, you're a sexy lady
    But you walk around here like you wanna be someone else

    (Oh whoa-oh-oh)
    I know that you don't know it, but you're fine, so fine (fine, so fine)
    (Oh whoa-oh-oh)
    Oh girl, I'm gonna show you when you're mine, oh mine (mine, oh mine)

    Treasure, that is what you are
    Honey, you're my golden star
    You know you can make my wish come true
    If you let me treasure you
    If you let me treasure you

    (Whoa-oh-oh-h-h-h)

    Pretty girl, pretty girl, pretty girl, you should be smiling
    A girl like you should never look so blue
    You're everything I see in my dreams
    I wouldn't say that to you if it wasn't true

    (Oh whoa-oh-oh)
    I know that you don't know it, but you're fine, so fine (fine, so fine)
    (Oh whoa-oh-oh)
    Oh girl, I'm gonna show you when you're mine, oh mine (mine, oh mine)

    Treasure, that is what you are
    Honey, you're my golden star
    You know you can make my wish come true
    If you let me treasure you
    If you let me treasure you

    (Whoa-oh-oh-h-h-h)

    You are my treasure, you are my treasure
    You are my treasure, yeah, you, you, you, you are
    You are my treasure, you are my treasure
    You are my treasure, yeah, you, you, you, you are

    Treasure, that is what you are
    Honey, you're my golden star
    You know you could make my wish come true
    If you let me treasure you
    If you let me treasure you

    (whoa-oh-oh-h-h-h)

    ReplyDelete
  6. you all are so weird
    -student in washingotn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much, This gave me all the answers

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanksss this is a big help

    ReplyDelete