Chapter 9 The Executive Branch and Federal Bureaucracy
1) The ability of a victorious president to fire current executive branch employees and hire
loyalists instead is known as
A) the loyalty oath.
B) the spoils system.
E) a right of passage.
2) The Civil War led to
A) an expansion of the bureaucracy.
B) a contraction of the bureaucracy.
C) the end of the spoils system.
D) the creation of the Department of War.
E) the abolition of the Department of State.
3) Under the Pendleton Act, civil servants were to be selected on the basis of
A) the spoils system.
D) party affiliation.
4) An agency created by Congress that is generally concerned with a specific aspect of the
economy is called
A) a bureau of the first class.
B) a committee on correspondence.
C) an independent regulatory commission.
D) a Cabinet-level agency.
E) a self-serving agency.
5) The Department of Commerce and Labor was established by ________ to oversee and regulate
intolerable labor practices and employer-employee relations.
A) Abraham Lincoln
B) James Garfield
C) Teddy Roosevelt
D) Franklin Delano Roosevelt
E) Dwight Eisenhower
6) The number of federal executive branch employees has
A) increased steadily since the founding.
B) increased steadily since the New Deal.
C) increased steadily since the Great Society.
D) decreased steadily since the New Deal.
E) decreased under Presidents Bill Clinton and George W. Bush.
7) The number of federal government employees was largest
A) in the wake of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.
B) during the Civil War.
C) during World War I.
D) during the New Deal and World War II.
E) during the Great Society.
8) In 1914, the Wilson administration created the ________ to protect small business and the
public from unfair competition.
A) Interstate Commerce Commission
B) Department of Economic Affairs
C) Department of Commerce
D) National Labor Relations Board
E) Federal Trade Commission
9) How did the Sixteenth Amendment enable the federal government to expand?
A) It permitted an income tax which could be used to fund numerous government
B) It permitted the federal government to regulate interstate commerce, thereby expanding
C) It prohibited the states from regulating intrastate commerce, allowing the federal
government to take over in this domain.
D) It authorized Congress to ʺwhatever laws may be necessary in Times of Economic Peril
E) It authorized Congress to create the Interstate Commerce Commission and gave it the
authority to regulate workplace conditions.
10) Franklin Roosevelt believed that the best way to get the country out of the Great Depression
A) through a hands-off approach.
B) through a laissez-faire approach.
C) through far-ranging government intervention in the economy.
D) by taxing unemployed Americans in order to provide an incentive for them to find work.
E) massive grants to private corporations so that they could afford to hire unemployed